Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Journey, Race, and Finish to Molokai 2 Oahu Paddleboard World Championships

The journey for crossing Molokai to Oahu (also known as the Ka'iwi Channel or Channel of the Bones) started with a new Bark board.  I had this wonderful board that I designed knowing that I would need something that I could rely on to cross the channel... with a saying that I could look at the entire time.


I had entered a series of smaller races early on from Jan-March, where I met 3 people-- 2 who would become my training partners on the north shore (where I subsequently met a lot more paddlers) and one who would become a dear friend and my roommate in molokai. 
Jenn and I at Da Hui Paddleboard Race

From March until June though- I had this training conflict between triathlon and paddling.  I had to make paddling workouts while still making the most out of my triathlon training.  I wanted to have a great season in triathlon too so after June 1st and qualifying for Kona, I breathed a huge sigh of relief and started really focusing on learning how to catch bumps for Molokai.  I realized I didn't have a ton of time- so any advice, and ALL advice, was welcomed from everyone around me and on every single training session.  There were definitely days where I experienced some 'tough love' from some of the north shore guys and I left thinking that this channel better not spit me out the way that they were saying it might.  I had to keep my head up, keep looking for bumps, and keep reminding myself on every training session that, like most things in life, it's 90% mental, and that if I was committed to doing it, then I would be fine.  

Just short of two weeks before the channel I had the most terrible downwind run on the north shore.  I knew it and so did a lot of my training partners.  I realized at that point that even though I was super excited to be around the hub-bub of some of the most inspirational and athletic athletes flying in (mick dibetta, joe bark, jackson english)... that I needed to take care of myself and figure out how I was going to get across this channel and what I needed to do to prep.  A message happened to pop into my mailbox at that point saying that this guy had come in from California and was looking for someone to do downwind runs with.  Perfect.  

Now let me divert.  I'm oblivious to name-dropping, big names, or any names at all.  In fact, it has happened a few times along the way this season when people I have been paddling with have told me - "So Kathryn, this is so and so (fill in a big name surfer, shaper, etc.)" and I obliviously just chat it up with them asking them where they grew up, what they do, how they got into the sport, etc.  I'm pretty sure that either these people find it refreshing or horrifying that I have no idea who they are.  

So, that being said- this person, who i agreed to go on a downwind run with (thanks george!), shows up and I find out later that he is quite amazing.  Like always top 10 in M2O and usually amongst the winners in Catalina.  My training partner called him a "california legend." Can't say i'd go that far.... but maybe so.  Again, oblivious.  Anyway, so in the last week before the race I had 2 amazing downwind runs from Hawaii Kai to Kaimana (or more appropriately, the outrigger canoe club).  And then, I simply did what I like doing most.  I took my board over to Kailua's flat island and did my last training session playing in the waves and doing circles around the island with wave catching.  It reminded me... no matter what- I was going to have fun in the channel and that was what the whole journey was to be about!

Molokai and Race Day:
So after flying all my food, my photographer/friend (hawaiiracephotos/ colin cross), and swimmer for bottle exchanges (lectie.. newly nicknamed leftie by the north shore crew), into molokai I finally got to relax and wait until race day.  I flew in friday afternoon and the race was on Sunday morning.  Molokai is not a very entertaining place pre-race.  Colin and I figured out the place had 2 VCR players, about 2 lightbulbs to light up the entire room, internet only if you used the provided cable line, and boot-legged dvds.  Pretty stellar.   My other roommate, Jenn, flew in Saturday and so did someone else that she found from Canada (who is a former world record holder in the beer mile!). 
My version of pancakes- with bananas. Scrambled. And LOTS of coffee (it's all consumed).

Flying into Molokai.  The channel looks a lot larger than 32 miles!


Race day couldn't come quick enough.  We had all been watching the weather report and thinking that we were going to get AMAZING swell because of this tropical storm Flossie that was hitting.  Apparently we couldn't be more wrong.  Race day came and the conditions were horrible.  I didn't know this until the end.  I actually don't have much to report about the race at all except that it felt LOOOONG and BOOOORING and that i REALLY WANT TO RACE NEXT YEAR!  I think my anticipation of the channel was that it was going to be super big swell and a blast to take these waves.  Yet there was nothing of the sort.  Apparently since Flossie was coming from the south, it was pushing against the waves that would be coming out of the north.  Bummers... nothing but slosh.  Not many runners :-(.  At one point my captain asked me if everything was okay.  I said.. 'yes, but I'm really bored'.  I really could have used some music. Badly.  I don't ever say that.  I like playing mental games. So instead I used some red bull.  Thank goodness.  I used a bit of that to pep me up.  Then some coke.  Then I looked forward to the wall along hanauma bay to ride the waves.  I figured- I'm not going to win or lose the race this way- I at least want to have some fun! 
Top pic- open water.  Bottom pic- riding the wall into portlock. Photo credit to Colin Cross at Hawaii Race Photos.

Anyway, I'll tell you- I think the hardest part were the last 3 miles... I knew the channel was 32 miles.  On my garmin.. I ended up paddling 34.35 miles.  It's killer when you are at 31 miles thinking you are so close but you really aren't.  Talk about mentally tough.  I was at hanauma bay when I hit mile 32.  And I joke now- "where was the finish line? I was at mile 32!!"  The feeling however, to cross the finish line and have my name announced was amazing.  Then, to be greeted by a crowd of my amazing friends and supporters that stood out in the blazing sun for hours on end was something more special than I can even put into words.  This is the first of three world championships for this year, the first time I crossed the channel, and the first time experience such love when I paddled my way back home.  
The finish!

A couple of the training partners, Jeff and Troe.

A few of the amazing support! Many others not pictured but much appreciated and well loved!



A special thanks to Lectie- who did some stellar platform boat jumps and mad swimming skills to deliver bottle nutrition.  Colin- who has some amazing photography skills (and moonfish skills) and I can't wait to see the pics from the race.  And to Lance - my faithful boat captain who re-assured me we were headed towards land when I doubted myself 10x over because I thought I was going backwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment