Monday, November 26, 2012

The Shipping Dilemma

I know I live in paradise.  But let me tell you, occasionally it has drawbacks.  Other than the daily living drawbacks like the insanely high price of gas and food (which we all learn to get over or we leave this black rock)... The past two weeks I have had the unfortunate dealings with crazy shipping dilemmas.  Let me explain.

It all started with a simple picture frame.  I found some really great deals on picture frames on target.com.  Like $20 for 2 poster size frames.  When I went to check out the shipping was $90.  My mouth dropped open and I cleared my cart and proceeded to amazon where I knew I could find the free shipping.  

$90 to ship me???!!!


Fast forward to a week later when I was stoked to build up a new mountain bike for 2013.  I am not too picky about bikes but I certainly have brands that I like.  My dream machine comes in the form of a Scott.  I have had fantastic luck with this bike brand as my road bike and I have heard great reviews about it in mountain biking.  

I hopped online to check out one in my price range and REI happened to be the only retailer that I could order it from off of an online shop.  However, there are no REI stores in Hawaii.  I devised this great plan that I would have it shipped to an REI on the mainland and then my parents could pick it up and ship it to me.  OR... I could call the one store that carries Scott bicycles on the island and they could have it shipped into their store.  

I picked up the phone and kept my fingers crossed.  They said they were discontinuing Scott bicycles and could no longer take customer orders.  Plan Failed. 

I re-thought my plan to have it shipped to REI.  My parents would have to drive to pick up the bike and making sure that it would stay in the box it came in might be an issue and I would have to pay the shipping again to get it out to Hawaii.  


$$$ to get it shipped to Oahu! 


To make a long story short... I've decided that I have a new dream machine in mind.  One that is available for purchase at the local bike shop without shipping involved.  I'll post a picture as soon as that new fun toy is in my hands.  I did already order the shoes, pedals, and helmet to go with it.  As soon as those come in I'll be ready to go!

For now- I am trying to solve the next shipping dilemma of trying to get a stock paddleboard from california to hawaii.  Any ideas?  




No comments:

Post a Comment